As I continue my research on essential oils, I am amazed by some of the facts that I discover about aromatherapy.
Most people don’t know about this, however this information can greatly benefit you and your family members.
Did you know that…
- The Global Essential oil market is expected to reach USD 11.67 billion by 2022, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc.
- Global Essential oil market demand was 165.0 kilo tons in 2014 and it’s expecting to grow at 8.6% rate from 2015 to 2022.
- Europe was the leading regional market demand share of essential oils, exceeding 40% in 2014.
- Some major companies operating in the global essential oil market includes Biolandes, Sydney Essential Oils, HRF, The Leburmuth Company, Young Living Essential Oils, DoTerra, Essential Oils of New Zealand, Sydella Laboratoire, Farotti Essenze, Moksha Lifestyle Products, West India Spices Inc., Falcon and Ungerger Limited among others.
- Although, the use of botanical oils have been in use for centuries, Essentials oils were discovered in 1928 by the French chemist, Rene Maurice Gattefosse.
- Ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans were using plant oils for medicinal and beauty purposes long before modern aromatherapy was invented.
- An Arab physician Avicenna (980 A.D. – 1037 A.D.) invented of a refrigerated coil which changed the way plants were distilled. This method is still used today
- Only 1% of the entire plant species population produces essential oils.
- There are only 21 plant families which produce essential oils.
- When you are hot or tired, Peppermint essential oil is best . You can smell it directly from the cap for some quick energy or dilute with a carrier oil and apply to the back of the neck for a cooling effect.
- Clary Sage is a powerful support for labor, especially when labor is stalled. Typically Clary Sage is avoided in pregnancy because of the possibility of this effect on the body. But once you are full term and woman’s body is ready for delivery, it is a great support.
- Generally Clary Sage is known to reduce pain and increase circulation.
- Marjoram oil is great oil for soothing the discomforts of contractions during labor. It can be diluted and applied to the lower abdomen.
- Frankincense helps to reduce pain. Rub a few drops on your back or abdomen (wherever it hurts) for some wonderful pain relief. Frankincense is used for all kinds of pain, especially during pregnancy and breastfeeding where medications could negatively affect the baby.
- Rose essential oil has some unknown chemical components, which is one of the reasons why it is so difficult to duplicate the exact aroma of rose in synthetic form.
- Essential oils can be used in the home as a natural cleaning product, as a healing agent during illnesses, to repel insects, as a food flavoring and/or as a spice, in the use of pets, and even assist plants in the garden. I replaced all commercial products in my house with natural products that contain essential oils.
- An ‘essential oil’ is not always an essential oil – it may actually be a concrete, resin, resinoid, oleoresin or hydrosol.
Sources: Aromatherapy Massage for You, Jennie Harding, 2005; Grand View Research, Inc.
Upcoming Aromatherapy Classes and Workshops in NJ area.