Mercury Retrograde in Scorpio: October 31- November 20, 2019
The last Mercury Retrograde in Scorpio occurred in October of 2014.
What Does Mercury Retrograde Mean?
Some planetary cycles are good for moving ahead, but the Mercury Retrograde cycle is not that case.
Mercury rules all types of communication, including speaking, learning, reading, researching, negotiating, listening, editing, selling, and buying. It also rules all formal contracts and agreements, as well as important documents such as agreements, deeds, book manuscripts or term papers, contracts, leases, and wills. Computer codes, shipping, transportation, and travel is also under this planet’s domain. When Mercury retrogrades, these areas tend to get scrambled or go out of control.
Weird things happen during the Mercury retrograde. For example, you may suddenly discover that you were sold a defective phone or other electronic device or even a house.
Mercury Retrograde begins and ends with a Shadow Period (see more below). These periods have the main theme of miscommunication and misunderstandings, or poorly planned contracts and purchases. It is time to avoid making long-term commitments and decisions.
Retrogrades are to be used as a review time and analysis of your past actions.
This period could be a good time to revise your ideals, to review your circle of friends, to reorganize your office, or to revision some aspects related to an association or organization you are part of.
If Mercury retrogrades in a water sign (Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces), you must rely on your intuitive abilities. Logic, facts, and research may say one thing, but your intuition tells you to follow your inner guidance and to choose something else. If you chose to follow this rule, you will learn that your emotional intelligence is more reliable. When Mercury retrogrades in your water sign, it’s an instant signal to start listening to that inner voice within.
Phases of Mercury Retrograde
Note: As Mercury is slowing down and is close to changing direction, there tends to be a stronger effect on the Earth and its all living creatures.
- Mercury Retrograde of 2019 begins the Pre-Shadow in Scorpio (11o 35″) on October 11, 2019 at 10:49 pm UT, 6:49 pm EDT, 3:49 pm PDT.
- Mercury goes Retrograde in Scorpio (27o 38″) on October 31, 2019 at 3:41 pm UT, 11:41 am EDT and 8:41 am PDT.
- The Direct Station occurs in Scorpio (16o 06″) on November 20, 2019 at 7:12 pm UT, 2:12 pm EST and 11:12 am PST.
- Mercury ends the Post-Shadow on December 7, 2019 at 5:55 pm UT, 12:55 pm EST and 9:55 am PST.
1. Pre-Shadow Phase
As Mercury proceeds in its forward motion, it enters the region where it will later retrograde or appear to go backward. This preparation period of time is referred to as the Mercury Pre-Shadow Phase. It’s during this phase incorrect assumptions, unfortunate short-cuts or lack of attention to details happen that are later amplified and revealed as Mercury goes retrograde.
2. Stationary Phase
There is a moment in time when Mercury has slowed down from moving forward and is about to move backward. That time is referred to as the Mercury Stationary Phase and its the beginning of the Mercury Retrograde. This is the most intense part of the retrograde cycle that often impacts many communication and social media channels (for example as 2019 Facebook and goggle outages).
3. Retrograde Phase
This is a period when for about three and a half weeks or so, Mercury appears to be going backward (retrograde). False assumptions, mistakes, and unfortunate ‘short-cuts’ are often revealed during this time. During this time it’s important to check and recheck the details of important matters. For many people and organizations, transportation and communication issues may develop.
4. Direct Phase
Towards the end of the retrograde phase, Mercury has reached a place in its orbit where it begins to move in the same direction as the earth around the sun. The moment Mercury appears to stop moving backward and is about to move forward is called the Mercury Direct Phase. As much as the Mercury Retrograde Phase discussed above, it tends to be a period of errors, false assumptions, lack of clarity and proper execution.
5. Post-Shadow Phase
During the Post-Shadow Phase, as Mercury appears to move forward again, it passes through the part of the sky where it had previously gone backward. During the early part of this phase, Mercury is still moving slowly, and thus the effects are still intense. People and organizations may still experience this phase when the consequences of not paying attention to details or asking the right questions become apparent.
Activation of the Fear Gates
On top of this retrograde, the Sun is currently going through the Fear gates of the Splenic Center. Because of this, the last week of October can bring up a fear of taking responsibility and avoidance defining your values. This week can also bring a fear of rejection due to a corrupted value system.
Here are the questions to ask yourself this week:
- Where do I take too little responsibility for myself and/or others?
- Where do I have a careless attitude and not taking responsibility for my own actions?
- How do my actions impact others?
- Do I sacrifice my values in exchange for a quick win/sale that doesn’t benefit both parties?
- Do I have boundaries in place to protect my values (around work, business or family)?
- Where do I take on too much responsibility that wasn’t mine?
The Impact of the Retrograde in Scorpio
Scorpio is the 8th house of the zodiac. The 8th house in Astrology is ruled by the sign of Scorpio and planet Pluto. It’s associated with sex, death and rebirth, inheritance, research, psychology, secrets, transformation, trauma, chronic health problems, and other people’s money. It rules legacies, inheritances, and wills. It’s also connected with conscious magic and mysticism. Scorpio is the great teacher of the mysteries of life and existence. It is the realm of transformative experiences.
Scorpio is a water sign, which represents deep sentiment and emotional vulnerability. However, still waters run deep with Scorpio people, as they are unlikely to reveal their deep feelings. Because Scorpio is a fixed sign, these people have a tendency to be stubborn and intense.
With Mercury retrograde in Scorpio, it also influences its opposite sign of the Human Design Wheel – Taurus. Intense speech stemming from frustration can arise as a result. For example, you can feel an urgency to get things done to resolve a challenging situation. It’s vital to be mindful of how your communication is delivered.
Here is the checklist to help you double-check the quality of your communication:
- Was the intended message received on the other end?
- Was there misinterpretation or miscommunication?
- Did the right audience receive my message?
Retrogrades assume renewal, repetition, and revision of past situations.
Pause and think before you speak, write, text, or tweet. With Mercury also controlling the intellect, it may take longer than usual to get clarity on situations.
Because Mercury also governs commerce, it’s able to use its intellect and versatility to create business opportunities for itself. However, retrograde is not a good period to start new business partnerships.
Mercury retrograde in Scorpio may bring lies and actions that breach the moral and social rules, reminding us that we need to make peace with some people, with our actions from the past, and to be honest with ourselves in order to align with our fate.
You may discover things that were forgotten or ignored, thinking that these issues will get solved on their own or will stay forever hidden. This is not the case during the retrograde – things that were hidden will be revealed and amplified!
Tips to Manage This Mercury Retrograde
Here are my tips on what you can do to minimize the negative influence of this retrograde:
- Try not to make any important moves during this period. Nothing will be settled successfully for the future during this time. You will find it hard to develop a solid plan or take action.
- During a retrograde period, it is hard to get decisions from others. Even if a decision is made, it will be changed either just after Mercury turns to direct or much later.
- This period would not be the right time to do anything involving communications, such as launch a website or an advertising campaign.
- Retrograde is also considered a poor time to begin any new endeavors, even if they are not related to communication.
- Don’t sign any contracts or even to shake hands on any new agreements.
- Do not close on a house nor sign a lease. Verbal agreements are considered the same as written ones. The environment will be changeable and unstable no matter what you are told or what you think. Wait until the retrograde period is over, ideally, it would be after November 25.
- If you do buy something expensive, such as a car, computer, or jewelry, for example, you may regret your purchase later. Don’t buy or sell anything expensive during this period. I rescheduled my closing date to November 25 to avoid unanticipated problems.
- Pay particular attention to Wednesdays, the day associated with Mercury
- Do not sign any legal agreements or contracts, as there is the likelihood that the contracts may have to be revised or that they will not go through
- Avoid new business and personal partnerships
- Double-check all your written and verbal communication
- Request delivery receipts on postal mail and important emails
- Take care of any overdue health care checkups
- Allocate time to support your nervous system and digestion
- Take steps to support your memory, as well as improve your speech and cognitive function
- Don’t make any life-altering decisions until after Mercury turns direct (after November 25). If you must, get a second opinion.
- Eat green mung beans (the lentil associated with Mercury).
- Allocate to relax and detach yourself from mental activity.
- Avoid intense emotions situations and always pause before reacting to someone/something who triggers it.
On March 14, 2019, we had the largest 14-hour Facebook and Instagram outage that happened during Mercury Retrograde. Tens of thousands of people were unable to access their Instagram and Facebook accounts. This was the largest failure in the 15-year history of Facebook. This outage also affected Facebook’s apps, including Messenger and WhatsApp. Read my blog on how to avoid frustrations and minimize negative effects of this Retrograde. Click HERE to read more about this retrograde…
For more information about the Human Design System, click HERE.
Written by Irina Maryanchik, EHH-MA, EEM-CP, PLT